The whole idea of Snapchat is that images disappear after they have been viewed, however, there may be photos you want to keep hold of.
The downside to taking a screenshot on Snapchat is that the other person receives a notification.
Don’t worry though, there are a few ways around this…
5 Methods To Take A Snapchat Screenshot With Them Being Notified:
1. Use A Screen Recorder
If you are using an Android device, you can screen-record people’s snaps without them knowing.
Be aware that screen recording will not work for iOS devices as Snapchat will notify the person that you screen-recorded when using an iPhone.
However, software developers are always looking to improve and patch the loopholes associated with secret screenshotting so it is worth double-checking if this method is still ‘safe’ on Android phones by trying it on someone you trust first.
To Take A Snapchat Screenshot Using A Screen Recorder On Android Follow These Steps:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen to open the menu (this will usually contain things like your internet settings, flashlight, BlueTooth etc..).
- Swipe right and look for the screen recorder function (you may have to swipe right again if you have customized your icon placement).
- Tap the ‘Screen Recorder’ icon and tap ‘start’.
- Open Snapchat.
- Open the story that you wish to screenshot.
- Close Snapchat.
- Swipe down from the top of your screen and press ‘stop’ on the screen recording.
- Open the video.
- Scroll to the bit where you wanted to take a screenshot is.
- Press the power button and down button at the same time to screenshot the video.
2. Use Airplane Mode
Airplane mode is one of the most well-known methods, but if you don’t do it properly the other person can still receive a screenshot notification. To secretly screenshot using airplane mode, use these steps:
- Open Snapchat and load the snap but do not open it
- Minimize Snapchat then turn off your wi-fi and mobile data
- Turn on airplane mode
- Go to Snapchat and take the screenshot
- Close Snapchat
- Open the control center settings and force stop the app
- Then, clear the Snapchat cache in the settings
Note: Some people go one step further and delete the app at this point and then redownload it once their internet is restored
- Now you can turn off airplane mode and use your phone as normal.
3. Use Screen Mirroring
One way to screenshot someone’s snap without them knowing is to connect your phone to another screen or device and use this to record/ screenshot.
There are multiple apps available to allow you to use screen mirroring and these can be used to mirror your screen onto a TV or computer monitor.
You can then screenshot on the second screen rather than on your phone.
As the screenshot has been taken on the other device, Snapchat does not detect it and therefore does not notify the sender.
How To Screen Mirror On iPhone (with a Mac)
- Connect your iPhone to the same WiFi as your Mac.
- Open the control center on your iPhone.
On iPhone X or later, or iPad with iPadOS 13 or later swipe down from the top right-hand of the screen. On iPhone 8 or earlier, or iOS 11 or earlier: swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
Tap ‘screen mirroring’
- Select the Mac you want to mirror your screen on from the list.
- Enter the passcode shown on your iPhone into your Mac.
- Mirroring will now commence.
- To take a screenshot on your Mac, press and hold Shift, Command, and 3 at the same time when you see the Snapchat image you want to save.
- To stop mirroring open Control Centre, tap Screen Mirroring, then tap Stop Mirroring.
How To Screen Mirror On Android (with a PC using Windows 11)
Screen mirroring an Android phone to a PC unfortunately is rather more complicated and the exact step can vary depending on your device, however if you have a PC on Windows 11 and an Android phone (that isn’t a google Pixel) then the steps outlined in this video should work:
..once you can see the Snap that you wish to screenshot simply take a screenshot of your PC by pressing the PrintScreen button and paste it into Paint.
4. Take A Picture With Another Camera
If you have another phone or camera, use this to take a picture of the open Snapchat on your phone.
This is a quick and easy method that is completely free from risk.
However, the downside is that the picture will be lower quality than if you were to screenshot it.
5. Use Third-Party Apps
There is a range of apps that have been created specifically to capture screenshots without notifying the sender.
Apps such as Snapcrack (Android, iPhone), Apowersoft Screenshot (Android, iPhone) and Snitchchat (Android only) are popular with users.
Is It Illegal To Screenshot On Snapchat Without Them Being Notified?
While secretly screenshotting someone’s Snapchat snaps is not illegal, it is morally wrong.
It is unethical because you are saving someone’s photo without their consent.
However, there is some grey area because your intentions behind taking the screenshot can play a big role.
With this in mind, if you’ve taken a screenshot with the intention to share it or use it without the person’s knowledge or consent then the other person can take legal action against you as it is a breach of their privacy.
It is important to note that if you screenshot on Snapchat and the other person gets a notification they can report you and your account could be banned. This is because the Snap terms of service include that you may not use Snapchat in a way that violates or infringes the copyright, privacy, publicity, trademark, or intellectual property right of someone else.
Snapchat also honours copyright laws and will terminate users’ accounts if they repeatedly infringe copyrights. To avoid issues, always get permission from the sender before you screenshot their snaps.
Why Does Snapchat Use Screenshot Notifications?
Snapchat alerts users when a screenshot is taken of their content to help protect their privacy. It’s an important feature that helps users continue to use the app how it is meant to be used; for temporary photo sharing. ‘
Snapchat is a user-friendly app and is always working on patching loopholes that get around the screenshot notification.
This is why it’s best to avoid taking screenshots unless the sender knows you are going to take them.
Leave a Comment