Are you new to Mastodon and not sure how to follow someone, it’s actually quite simple.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps to follow someone on Mastodon, as well as how to follow someone on a different server.
Following Someone on Mastodon
To follow someone on Mastodon follow these steps:
1. Find the user’s profile
The first step in following someone on Mastodon is to find their profile. You can do this by searching for their username or display name in the search bar at the top of the page (on desktop devices), or by tapping the search icon in the footer on mobile.
Be aware this method will only work if you are on the same server as the user you are searching for.
Alternatively, you can also find users to follow by browsing public timelines or using Mastodon’s built-in directory.
2. Click the “Follow” button
Once you’ve found the user’s profile, click the “Follow” button located beneath their username and bio.
This will add them to your list of followed users, and their posts will start appearing in your home timeline.
3. Interact with the user’s posts
Now that you’re following someone on Mastodon, you can interact with their posts by liking, commenting, or boosting (the Mastodon equivalent of retweeting) them.
You can also send the user a direct message if they have that feature enabled.
Following Someone on a Different Server
One of the unique features of Mastodon is its federated structure, which allows users to connect with others on different servers.
However, following someone on a different server can be slightly more tricky than it is to follow someone on the same server.
Mastodon have improved the search feature now so you can find and follow people on different instances just by typing their name in, however in some cases you may not be able to find them so you will need to follow these steps:
1. Find the user’s profile
The first step is the same as above – you’ll need to find the user’s profile either by searching for their username or browsing public timelines.
2. Copy the user’s profile URL
To follow someone on a different server, you’ll need to copy their profile URL (not just their username).
You can do this by clicking on their username to open their profile, then copying the URL from the address bar at the top of your browser.
Make sure to copy the entire URL so that it is clear exactly which server the user is on.
3. Paste the profile URL into Mastodon’s search bar
Next, go to your Mastodon home timeline and paste the user’s profile URL into the search bar at the top of the page.
Mastodon will automatically detect that the user is on a different server and prompt you to follow them.
4. Click the “Follow” button
Once you’ve confirmed that you want to follow the user, click the “Follow” button, and they’ll be added to your list of followed users.
Following someone on Mastodon is a simple process that can be done in just a few clicks. By following others on the platform, you can connect with like-minded individuals and build a supportive community.
With Mastodon’s federated structure, you can even connect with users on different servers and expand your network even further.
FAQs About Following People On Mastodon
- Can someone see if I follow them on Mastodon? If you follow someone on the same Instance then in most cases they will be able to see that you follow them, but if you follow someone on a different server they will not be able to see that you follow them.
- Can I unfollow someone on Mastodon? Yes, you can unfollow someone at any time by clicking the “Unfollow” button on their profile. You can also mute or block users if you no longer want to see their posts.
- Is it possible to follow someone on Mastodon without creating an account? No, in order to follow someone on Mastodon, you must first create an account on the platform. However, you can still view public posts and timelines without an account.
- Can I follow someone on Mastodon from a different instance without copying their profile URL? Yes, some Mastodon instances allow users to search for and follow users on other instances without needing to copy their profile URL. This feature is called “federation search” and is available on some instances. If your instance doesn’t have this feature, you can still follow someone on a different instance by copying their profile URL.